Alveston Parish Council committees
The Parish Council manages much of its day to day activities through the work of four committees. This allows the council tasks to be divided between the councillors with the detail of a specific function to be undertaken by a smaller number of members.
Alveston Parish Council has three advisory committees: The Finance & General Purposes Committee, the Playing Fields and Open Spaces Committee, the Footpaths and Allotments Committee and one executive committee, the Planning Committee.
Advisory committees make recommendations to the full council for decision whilst an executive committee has been delegated responsibility for making decisions on behalf of the Council.
Committee meetings are usually held on the third Monday two months out of three in a cycle with additional planning committee meetings on the first Monday of each month.
All Committee meetings are open to the public and subject to the same standing orders as the full Council.
Finance & General Purposes Committee
The F&GP committee has responsibility for the overall management of the Council and any other matter which does not fall within the scope of any other committee. Its work includes:
- Ensure conformity with Statutory Regulations
- Prepare budget proposals, propose the annual precept and investigate alternative funding sources.
- Consider all expenditure proposals or future projects outside the agreed budget.
- Oversee the council’s finances, records and control systems.
- Manage all staffing matters including salaries, conditions of employment and development.
- Monitor the use of Council assets and perform Risk Assessment
- Operate the Gift Aid process
- Ensure the council’s insurance arrangements are adequate.
- Review the effective operation of the council, its policies and procedures
- Develop communications policies with the electorate and other partners.
- Deal with any matter not falling to other committees
See minutes of Finance & General Purposes Committee meetings.
Playing Fields & Open Spaces Committee
The PF&OS committee has management responsibility for all matters relating to the Council estate which includes the playing fields, play areas as well as the Cemetery. Its day to day tasks include:
- Monitoring and managing the work performed by the Grounds Maintenance Contractor.
- Ensuring facilities are fully utilised and properly managed.
- Assessing and budgeting for future maintenance, replacement or upgrading of items or facilities.
- Liaising with all users of the Council facilities and the managers of other facilities within the Parish.
- Ensuring the services offered at the Cemetery are well managed and reflect the standards expected.
See minutes of Playing Fields & Open Spaces Committee meetings.
Footpaths & Allotments Committee
The FP&A Committee has responsibility with other bodies for all matters relating to Public Rights of Way, street facilities and infrastructure within the Parish and the Parish Allotments. Its work includes:
- Monitoring street lighting, street facilities, footways and general maintenance and liaising with SG Council to ensure the community needs are met.
- Promoting the use of Parish Rights of Way and ensuring they are available and well maintained.
- Liaising with all users of the Rights of Way, interested user groups and the appropriate departments in the District Council.
- To provide and maintain Street Litter Bins and Dog Waste Bins and ensure other bodies who are concerned with local amenities perform their services in accordance with needs of the community.
- Ensuring the Parish Council Notice Boards are well maintained and adequate for the requirements of the Parish.
- Provision and Maintenance of Bus Shelters and ensuring their cleanliness and structural soundness.
- To set up and manage allotments within the Parish and liaise with the Alveston Allotment Association to ensure the use and serviceability of allotments is in accordance with the Parish Council requirements.
See minutes of Footpaths & Allotments Committee meetings.
The Planning Committee has responsibility to consider all planning and licensing matters which affects Alveston Parish and, on behalf of the Parish Council respond to consultations from South Gloucestershire District Council. Regular tasks include:
- Consider all planning applications and development control.
- Give considered opinion regarding planning contraventions, enforcement and Tree Preservation Orders.
- To respond on any matter relating to licensing or Street Trading.
- To represent the Parish Council in Planning or Licensing matters at all Site Meetings, Panel Hearings or other meetings called by the planning authority.
Current planning applications are listed on the Planning page with full details of all applications found on the South Gloucestershire District Planning portal
See minutes of Planning Committee meetings.
Alveston Parish Council is represented on a number of outside bodies in both a formal and informal way.
Formal representatives are as follows, other bodies or meetings are represented on an ad-hoc basis:
|Body or Group||Representative 2014/15|
|Alveston Community Forum||Cllr Marcus Fry|
|Alveston Trust (formerly Alveston Charities)||John Cutland|
|John Dyer Award Committee||John Cutland|
|Jubilee Hall Management Committee||Cllr Marcus Fry|
|Oldbury Site Stakeholders Group||TBA|
|Safer Stronger Community Group||Cllr Paul Caddick|
|Severnside Environmental Link Group||Cllr Marcus Fry|
|South Glos Area Forum ||Cllr Marcus Fry|
|St Helen’s Board of Governors||Mrs Chris Casey|
|Youth Centre Management Committee||Cllr James Sumner|